View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #994
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In a typical situation (ie: where you don't have oil passage/pick up blockage due to bits and pieces of old silicone) sure, I could see where "most of the wear" on the bearing could come from cold starts. Bearings wear out, thats not unheard of. However, this regular wear isn't going to spin a bearing 5k miles down the road. I daily drive a 213,xxx mile lexus gs400, im sure those bearings are worn compared to new, but hey, they haven't spun

Also, keep in mind the pretty high compression on the FA20. 12.5:1 is a pretty tight squeeze.

With all that said, in all of these cases it isn't the cold start thats killing these motors. Its a shear lack of oil. Thats just a dealers way of trying to talk their way out of covering a shortblock replacement.

Going through doing this recall myself in my garage right now, (if you haven't seen my other thread) I can certainly understand how easy it is to get bits and pieces of this silicone stuck in places they shouldn't be. I am pretty confident that most of the failures are a result of the old silicone bits being left where they shouldnt be vs using too much FIPG when reassembling. I am on my 3rd round of blocking out all the passages after doing a very thorough clean up and am still finding small bits here and there, and with only what? 13-15 hours of labor covered for the ENTIRE recall procedure I can certainly see this step not happening as thorough as it needs with the dealer.
aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-27-2019)