View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 12:05 AM   #1
DavidZemon

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (SSC kit)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Validate my shopping cart for updated audio system?

Let me preface this with: I'm not an audiophile - I just bought this car to race SSC. But... the sound system is complete garbage. AM radio / bad record player garbage. And that head unit... frustrating as all get out (right-end of the screen is non-responsive).

I have a 2013 BRZ, btw.

So, I'm not looking to get "high end" speakers or the fanciest/loudest head unit ever. I just want something that doesn't make my ears bleed or my brain steam every time I sit in the car.

Here's what I'm hoping will work nicely, based on the research I've been doing here and via Crutchfield's (automated) suggestions:

Head unit: Sony XAV-AX150
HU supporting pieces:
- Metra 95-8202 dash kit
- Metra 40-LX11 antenna adapter
- Metra 70-1761 receiver wiring harness
- Metra ISOPK screw pack
- iDatalink USB2 Adapter ACC-USB2

Door Speakers + Dash tweeters: Rockford Fosgate R165-S
Supporting pieces:
- Scosche SAT6 speaker mounting brackets
- Metra 72-8104 speaker wiring harness (x 2)

Dash Mid: Kicker 46CSC354
Supporting pieces:
- None? Will these just mount up? Crutchfield thinks not...

Rears? Crutchfield doesn't think there's anything that fits, but info online says they're just 6.5" speakers? I'd love some help here.

Amp... Does my car have an amp separate from the head unit? Where would it be so I can confirm whether or not it exists? If it does.... is there a chance it could be responsible for part of this terrible audio and therefore also need replacing? Could it be that the speakers are fine and it's entirely the amp?

For reference to the kind of audio quality that I'm a-okay with: my wife had an '08 Civic (base model) which was "fine" by me. Sure wasn't great, but it got the job done just fine. This BRZ is really sounds like something is wrong or maybe even disconnected.

Thank you for any and all help.

Btw, I'm comfortable with wiring diagrams and soldering. I would much prefer to not permanently modify the car in any way though, such custom speaker mounts that require cutting door cards and the like.

Cheers,
David
DavidZemon is offline   Reply With Quote