View Single Post
Old 10-30-2022, 01:38 AM   #47
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftMethod View Post
Tatsu333 Your car looks great! I'll have to look into Fast Wheels since I don't know much about them.

My thoughts on higher offset would be to keep closer to stock (with a comfortable margin for brake/suspension clearance), so less change in geometry. Since I'm not likely to change anything else in the near future, hoping to keep the overall balance the same. I'm not ready to go on a major upgrade spree, hence the mild wheel/tire combo.

That being said, I really don't know what I'm talking about, so appreciate the input here!
Thanks man!

Yeah, I initially had the same kind of thoughts as you regarding the offset, but it seems in order to have the nearly-flush look I was after with offsets close to stock it would mean running a 9" wide wheel, necessitating at least 245's because I also HATE the stretched look. The combo wouldn't have enough inner clearance without running coilovers (or spacers, which would defeat my intended purpose with the higher offset wheels), and it would also likely be necessary to use a steering rack limiter kit to avoid rubbing.

I ended up going with the Fast Wheels FC04's because I had run the same wheel on my previous car for a number of years on my local roads with no issues and really liked them, so they were a known quantity for me. They're also quite inexpensive to buy up here in Canada, being a Canadian company (though the wheels are manufactured in China). Make no mistake, though - they are not in the same league as APEX wheels.

FWIW, I felt the lower offset actually improved the weight / feel of the steering quite a bit for me on my BRZ - less floaty-feeling than before, with stronger self-centering, and that was still on the stock (Performance Pack) suspension.

All that said, if APEX were to offer a 17x8" ET35 wheel (or even better, an 18x8" ET35), it would be hard to say no to an upgrade...