View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #139
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
By my experience rears on average see half the wear the fronts. But still, i wouldn't do staggered pad choice front-rear unless i did lot of research/testing and my non-standard aero downforce setup or non-stock brake bias BBK requires bias shift back. Stock brakes (and most properly designed aftermarket BBKs) have specific brake bias that is close to optimal for our car weight distribution/aero balance, both braking path & braking safety wise. If you happen to still use electronic nannies (such as EBD), i guess they also may expect specific brake bias to be there. Just like how it's better on twins to stick with non-staggered square tire sizing, imho better stick with same pads all around too, as various compounds have various brake friction (even more so, changing differently at different temps) and have various temp operating windows.
I also live in apartment, so i bought some tools to ease switching pads. Like light alu hydraulic jack, electric with accumulators torque wrench to quicken work with lugnuts, adjustable torque wrench to not overtighten lugnuts, rachet with ends for undoing calipers, brake caliper spreading tool, syringe (to remove excess brake fluid if needed), extra brake fluid, wire brush for cleaning, boxes/bag to store all that, brake caliper grease/brake caliper cleaning aerosols, WD40 & kitchen paper towel roll to clean tools and hands .
The problem is that, at least on gen1, there is not much information regarding oem pad material. For Gen2, the setup is staggered with more apparent friction on fronts than on rears, therefore if you run a square aftermarket friction setup, it would move the brake bias 5-10% rearwards
If concerned about electronics, than this should be compensated with staggered friction or calipers.
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote