View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wheel/tire choice for return to HPDE

After many years away from HPDE, I'd like to dip back in this year. I'm not sure exactly how many years its been, but last time out was when there was still an oak tree at Oak Tree.

I mostly autocross with our local PCA in my Cayman. My FRS has been basically a commuter car since November 2012. I'd rather track the FRS so I won't have my wife bugging me about putting a scratch on her always perfectly clean Cayman. And if something breaks it should be cheaper to fix.

Mod plans are front sway bar and oil cooler. Maybe crash bolts (or something else) for front camber? I'll swap brake pads prior to the events.

I'm struggling with what to do for a wheel/tire combination. Originally I was thinking a streetable tire like the 225/45 Micheline Pilot Sport 4S on the stock wheels. I loved those tires on my Cayman as a dual street/AX tire before going to the fast 200TW's, but they are a bit pricey. At half the cost I was thinking Falken Azenis FK510.

I'm not hung up on having a super fast tire, but our local PCA events I plan to attend have some pretty quick cars - I'd like to be reasonably quick to not be a blockade in the turns. I'm used to straight line slow from all my years in my 944.

I really want to keep this simple, but am open to a 17x8 or 17x9. I could pair those with an R Compound, or a 200TW option. Any size/tire recommendations on those? Offset? I've never prepped a car competitive for SCCA AX, but one of those wheels could be a jump off into SSC or STX. My oil cooler keeps me out of DS.
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote