View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #152
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Yeah, and that definitely helped it get pretty decent highway mpg too. Which brings me to my question...

AMG's 6.2-liter was just a hair less torquey given the slight displacement deficit but even in its M156 tunes (rather than the M159 tune in the SLS AMG, which isn't really a fair comparison), it still matched or beat its hp and torque numbers in most applications above the standard C63. How come its highway mpg was so poor in comparison? I'd assume that the car had enough bottom torque to keep the car moving at highway speeds without needing too many revs (like the LS7 or even the LS3, which was also a 6.2), yet its gearing wasn't really as tall as it could've been, especially with a seven-speed transmission.
I think its indicative of just how absurdly tall the gearing in the 'Vettes is (also being relative feather weights helps). Most cars with that 6.2L AMG V8 weigh quite a bit more than a Corvette.

My father runs a C6 Z06 and the motor is turning about 1200 RPM at freeway speeds in 6th gear. Mechanically, redline in 6th gear is somewhere north of 300mph.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote