Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I agree. They won't bring that over. What they'll do is bring a shittier version of that over, something that is just a little more than a regular Yaris. Then they'll retroactively try to attach it to the 86 and the Supra in the marketing plan as part 3 of their promised sports car lineup.

They've been saying for a while we would get three sports cars, with the 86 in the middle, and there were lots of hints that the S-FR would be the lower model. With interest in the S-FR seeming to wane, I think they'll just try to shove that piece of shit Yaris into that slot instead and pretend that's what they intended to do all along.
I'm still thinking it'll be the S-FR, but very tweaked from the concept (mainly the glass/polycarb roof and won't be a 4 seater). If you look closely at certain placement of things; ie vents, shifter, handbrake, etc, it mimics the new Miata. Given how Toyota already has ties/interest with Mazda (Yaris iA), I think it'll be a better financial position for Toyota to rebody the Miata into the S-FR and price it a couple grand less than the 86 (vs spending tons on getting that supercharged version of the Yaris to pass smog and safety here), bringing it to a grand less than the Miata.

Both companies win there. Mazda gets funding from Toyota. Toyota gets DOT approved chassis and powertrain from Mazda. Miata sales may actually increase since "I can get a convertible for only 1k more than the S-FR." And vice versa, those who don't want to spend the money on a Miata or the 86 can get the S-FR.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote