View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #1
guanqi89

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Major engine failure 45km before warranty expires

Hey guys, I made a post last year about getting my short block replaced under warranty (78k kms back then). And asked if my car would be reliable, and if I should sell since I probably can't afford to pay for an engine replacement out of warranty and out of pocket. You can see the old thread linked below:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...59#post3108659

Well, it happened again. Car broke down, with mechanical knocking noise coming from the engine. It's currently sitting at the dealer awaiting diagnoses with 99955km on the odometer (barely within the 100k power train warranty)

I don't know if the failure is identical to the last time. But the question remains. Should I sell? Should I keep?
  • Obviously a car like mine that needed to get engine replaced twice (potentially) will definitely take a hit on the used car market.
  • I however probably can't afford to pay for a repair like this out of pocket (dealer mentioned the work will cost around 12k without warranty)
  • How much does an engine replacement cost if it's done at an independent shop?
  • How much is a non-running FRS worth? Can I get any money back if engine breaks shortly after this replacement?

Comments to these above points can really help me decide. Looking forward to your comments. Thanks guys!
guanqi89 is offline   Reply With Quote