View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #2636
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I watched the incident a number of times from a number of different angles. I keep coming back to a couple of things.

There was now way, at that speed, Lewis was going to make that corner on that line. Once he committed to the inside, his trajectory was going to take him through Verstappen. Despite his protests to the contrary, Lewis was never "alongside Max," And, he had close to a meter on the inside, but apparently couldn't use it.

Next, Lewis is, IMO, not out there to wreck anybody. He is immensely talented, but has occasional lapses in judgement. Sometimes commits to things even he can't pull off. Even people on this level sometimes try things that their talent and physics won't permit. He tried similar moves twice on Alex Albon last season with similar results - Albon spinning off the track. Lewis's was deemed responsible for both incidents.

Now that doesn't preclude the racing incident conclusion. Racing involves getting on a track and driving at high (to blinding) speeds with others. No one's judgement and talent are infinite. Sometimes our "egos write checks our bodies can't cash."

Other observations; it was nice to see Danny Ric might be getting more comfortable in the McLaren. Alonso's first half lap in the sprint was astonishing. His ability to turn a 500 meter straight into a 700 meter straight by weaving all over the place on Sunday was less impressive. Hated to see Seb spin off and GR fade back, but it's good to see Williams making progress. Lance Stroll has become a much better racing driver than I ever predicted. I'm glad to be wrong about him. And the Ferraris are beginning to show signs of being Ferraris. Leclerc drove a very good race. I was certain he'd be in second at the exit of Abbey on the restart. it took 50 more laps. Fun to watch.
Spuds (07-19-2021), The Red One (07-19-2021)