View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #154
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRumble View Post
Shoot, I just placed an order for 5 CUSCO exhaust hangers! I realize the Nvidia N1 itself causes a lot of drone and these hangers may not fix it (or by much). I don't want to get rid of the Nvidia because I just bought this car 15 days ago, and the reason I bought it was for all the mods (headers, OFT, coilovers, exhaust, CAI) at pretty much the same price of a non-modded car. So I don't want to start replacing mods, I'd rather use any money to by other/new mods. Plus, there is one bonus of at least some drone: my 2 teenagers may THINK they are going faster than they are, and not speed.

So to reduce drone, I will be taking a multi-faceted approach and try these hangers first, and if not try to get a J-Pipe custom made, and/or save up and buy a dual resonated FP or FP with Helmholtz - all that is on the table. Even stuffing the trunk by the spare tire with blankets or sound-muffling pads could be an option (as I saw in another post).

However, I have read and re-read this thread many times and I thought that the reason the cabin noise / drone was reduced for the original poster is because the stock FRS/BRZ has too much slop / play / movement in the hangers? The STI part number hangs them more securely (or so I thought), reducing vibration into the chassis? If so, then the CUSCO part which I think is polybronze should hold them even more firmly? I thought the person who posted them above said he had success with the CUSCO's, no ?
If you're willing to invest so much time & save up the money to a multifaceted approach, you can probably spend the same amount by simpling selling the N1, and using those funds + saved money to buy a quieter exhaust. I see used N1's for sale all the time, so including your comments, that must be a sign it's not an easy exhaust to live with.

The drone issue doesn't appear to me a play/movement issue with the hangers, but the rubber durometer/ability to absorb and dampen vibrations. The STI/JDM hangers reportedly have more rubber material, which means better absorption and dampening. The CUSCO hangers are polyurethane, which will reduce movement (but that's not really the issue to begin with), but should technically add more vibration due to the nature of the material.

If you re-read what the member posted about the CUSCO hangers, they didn't have an issue with drone with their exhaust to begin with, so that was not the intended purpose. They said they used the CUSCO because their exhaust kept slipping off the stock hangers.

Cliff notes - The Invidia N1 is the root issue, and you may waste of a lot of time/money trying to make it more livable. Much easier and will probably save you lots of time/money/headache in the long run if you sold the N1 and got a different exhaust.

Last edited by NLSP; 06-28-2021 at 06:39 PM.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (02-22-2022), Jdmjunkie (06-28-2021), norcalpb (06-28-2021), Overdrive (06-28-2021), saltywetman (06-29-2021), Yoshoobaroo (06-28-2021)