Old 07-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #22
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX86 View Post
but what about that spoiler man? that's the whole reason to get the STI...for dat wing!
I mean, you can easily find STI people who will swap trunks, but let me throw down the same numbers I throw down when talking to friends about the purchase.

Premium '16 WRX: ~$28,000
Base '16 STI: ~$36,000

$8,000 difference. What do you get for that $8,000? Lets look:

-Ej257 with 305hp/290tq
WRX comes with the FA20 with 268hp/258tq

-Robust 6spd manual transmission
WRX has 6spd cable operated 6spd transmission with longer ratios

-Electronically adjustable center differental with a helical front LSD and torsen LSD on the rear (DCCD)
WRX has viscous center differential with open front and rear differentials

-4pt/2pt Brembo brakes
-Upgraded bushings and control arms in various areas
-18" Enkei (BBS optional) wheels
-SI Drive control varying throttle maps
-Inverted front struts with revised damping and different spring rates, front and rear
-Quicker steering rack (13:1 versus 14.5:1)
-HID/LED Headlamps
-Dual zone climate control
-More STI badges than would ever really be necessary

So... out of everything that I listed, how much of that will actually be used on the street? MAYBE the brakes in a panic situation or spirited driving, and the headlights (which can be had on a WRX Limited - roughly $31k), and the dual zone climate control is nice. Other than that, you aren't really missing out on much. To the STI's credit though, the level of engagement is higher than a standard WRX, in my opinion. Much better shifter, chassis is much more direct in feel, steering is quick with a hefty weight etc. That alone was enough for me to make the choice for an STI easy.

Now let's look at what you get in the STI that isn't so great:

-17/19mpg
WRX is rated for 20/28
I average 21mpg in my STI, and my friend averages 27mpg in his WRX

-Peak boost at around 4,000rpms
WRX peak boost is below 3,000rpms

-Shorter gearing which equals more noise at cruising speeds on freeway
-Much stiffer suspension
-Higher maintenance costs
-WRX also has built in oil temp gauge; STI does not

All of the above are things that favor heavily towards the WRX. Better suited powerband, better economy, nicer ride, less expensive to maintain. These are all things you can appreciate when you drive the vehicle every day. You miss out on some of the cool things with the STI, but on the street, those things don't really matter.

On the track, or in a performance environment, yes - the add-on's for the STI are great. But how much are you really going to track the car? I ask that question to all of my friends that ask about the car, and most of the time, they say something like "maybe once or twice a year", which often means "probably never". At that point, I recommend the WRX.

Now, if you just want an STI to say you have the flagship car, or because of the UEL sound, then that's all subjective and I can't really argue with it. Logically speaking though, the WRX is better value for the money as you get roughly 85-90% of the performance for about 70% of the cost.

And this is coming from somebody who currently owns an STI.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-20-2016), raven1231 (07-21-2016), strat61caster (07-20-2016)