spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=wbradley;3525374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
As much as I hate it, I know it is undeniable and unstoppable. I was just thinking yesterday. As much as I would like the GR Corolla. Do I really want to get rid of the BRZ? Is a car that won't be here for long, and it could be my 60s-70s classic as time goes by. To be able to hand off the keys to one of my kids as I hope they share the same passion as me. Or just be that cool uncle with the classic car.[/QUOTE

My son is 14.5 and I don't think he would be insurable on the FR-S when he's ready to drive, unless we paid an astronomical amount. Also, it's manual and I can tell he will not be a manual transmission or even a car guy. Plus he'd smash the intercooler which sits 1'" lower in the front. Even I had to adjust to diagonal approach up the driveway or on big speed bumps when the car was modded. Luckily, didn't tear open the air exchanger.

My expectation is that I will have to trade my daily for something automatic that he can use when needed. Probably hybrid, although electric isn't ruled out either. The 2025 Solterra STI might be a consideration in 2 years.

No kids for me ATM. I feel like at the rate we are going, he/she will ask me "Dad, why does your car have that stick with numbers on it when my friends car does everything on the dashboard?".

There is still hope for your kid, I taught both my fiance's brothers when they were in High school to drive stick, and they were around the same age, they were also very willing to learn, which I think it's key. Then again handling and driving a Mazda 3 is way different than a BRZ/86, teenagers do tend to act first and then think, more often than adults. Unless I knew my kid took care of things as much as I do, he/she wouldn't be taking the car for a drive.

Last edited by spcmafia; 05-25-2022 at 10:05 AM.
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote