View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
thinkV

Drives: BRZ Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Your idle oil temperature is my normal operating temperature(220f ish) without an oil cooler. Sounds like your thermostatic sandwich plate isn't working correctly, it should open at 85c.
Thanks, I have thought about this, but the fact my temps dropped by over 10 degrees after installing the cooler tells me it might be working or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
Ambient Air temp ? 117C for a very spirited drive is getting up there, full synth oils can take it but it's warm. Perhaps try another oil.
I was thinking 5w40 would be thick enough for this set up, isn’t w50 a little much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I rarely, if ever, almost never, get to 220f with just driving around, even in summer. I’m usually at like 180-190f, and all I have is the XT oil cooler.

Does the oil cooler need to be bled or anything like a standard thermostat to remove air trapped against the plate? Seems like that is what is failing. Is there a way to check for oil circulating through the oil cooler? Maybe feel for a hot feed line.
I don’t know if they need to be bled out, but see my reply above regarding the cooler.

Also it’s important to note, if I drive on the freeway and floor it I can get the temp under 100. It just seems to be mostly at idle and city traffic it goes straight to 105-110c.
thinkV is offline   Reply With Quote