Old 04-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Incorrect spring rates, dampening, travel, and alignment settings can, and does effect stopping distances.
There is no "correct" spring rate. The #1 thing that affects stopping distance is tires. Lowering springs won't affect stopping distances hugely and given lower c.g. and less overloading of front tires, should slightly improve stopping distances.

Quote:
Lowered springs, with high spring rates, on OEM, or, not matched dampers is engineering poor handling into a car.
A given set of dampers can deal with a quite wide range of spring rates. In fact you only would need to change damping by the square root of spring rate, so if spring rates are 25% stiffer (typical for lowering springs) you'd only need about 12% greater damping to have the same %age critical damping. But anyway the stock dampers can already deal with total spring rates much higher than stock spring rates as the bump stops are contributing a lot of stiffness a lot of the time.

I can promise you that the overall handling performance of my car was greatly improved with the lowering springs I am on and braking did not suffer at all as near as I can tell...

Last edited by ZDan; 04-18-2020 at 09:31 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
86TOYO2k17 (04-18-2020), strat61caster (04-18-2020)