Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #512
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
"BEV sales outgrew the total market by nearly 40% (EV +34% YoY adj. vs. total market -5%). Tesla’s share of the BEV market declined significantly to 69% vs. 81% in the prior year. The Ford Mustang Mach-E accounted for nearly 100% of the share loss."

A 12% drop in market share while the market as a whole grew, and attributed to the Mach-E would seem pretty substantial to me.
Tesla’s market share has nowhere to go but down. Tesla’s sales could grow every year for a long, long time, while their market share can continue to go down. With virtually all car models slated to be electric in the future, Tesla should continue to see great growth, while progressively losing more and more market share as more models come out.

Sometimes new models become hot in the tech world. Many people in Silicon Valley jumped to the Jaguar E-Pace to get the new, different thing, but then jumped back. There is pent up demand for quality alternatives to Tesla, if for nothing else than just for variety, but also for quality control, service networks, etc.

My point is the article makes the situation sound dire for Tesla, but the statistics don’t reflect that. If they sold 100 cars every quarter (for easy math), but then Ford releases a new, hot model that sells 50 cars, that doesn’t mean anything to Tesla. Yes, they didn’t sell to 50 other buyers and yes, their market share went from 100% down to 67%, so it seems bad, but in the end, they sold the same number of cars and those new buyers may never have bought a Tesla, so it is what it is.