View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #11
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

Drives: 15 Series Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Missing apexes is one of the mistakes we make as we start to build up speed. The issue is we have fixed turn in points and when we start to carry more speed, the sideways momentum of the car pushes us out wide. The thought process in our brain is "I have to slow down to hit the apex". "I'm much faster out here". Wrong. Never be satisfied at missing the apex.

Here's a trick to get back on line and account for the slip angle of the car. If your consistently missing an apex by 3 feet, move your vision point in. Instead of looking to the curb, look inside the curb. Say to yourself, "I'm gonna hit the very inside of that curb". Chances are you'll still go wide. Next lap move that vision point in a bit more. "I'm gonna put that tire in the grass". Slowly move your vision point in until you hit the apex. Turn 1 at Watkins Glen is my nemesis. It's off camber with a downhill approach. For some reason I'm always wide. I kept moving my vision point in until I finally said to myself, "I'm gonna put all 4 tires in the grass on the inside of the apex". That time I hit it perfectly.

Now please don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying to try and drive through the grass. The key to fixing our line problems with our eyes. The interesting thing that happens when me move our eyes inside the apex to adjust our line. Our braking point changes and we end up turning in earlier. What? Turn in early? I thought that was bad? It is bad but our goal is to move that entire arc through the corner in so we hit the apex. We end up having to turn in earlier to make this happen.

If your not consistent, this technique won't work. It is one of the common issues I see with intermediate drivers.
09 Comp Yellow NC
20 Gladiator tow vehicle.
gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatorac For This Useful Post:
Dave-ROR (02-01-2016), GeorgeJFrick (01-24-2016), wparsons (01-23-2016)