Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Driver View Post
Well, I think the decision ultimately comes down to personal wants/needs. If you want/need something "newer" with a warranty or if you want/need a back seat (though it's pretty much useless other than for small kids or stuff) or if you want/need a coupe then the answer should be obvious. Also, the road noise was more pronounced in the S2000 and rear tires need to be replaced more often (which exacerbates the road noise as the rear tires wear down). Do you haul a lot of stuff? Will this be your one and only vehicle? The only real reason I can afford to get rid of my FR-S and get an S2000 again is that I have another vehicle to rely on for transportation. So these are all things you should consider when making the purchase.

If it were me starting out with a fresh start and I had 25K to spend, I would spend 15K on as nice of a S2000 I could find and spend the other 10K on a nice used econo car that way I would have a vehicle for everday use and one to have fun with.
Fun car only though this car will have to survive long ass road trips - I plan on driving across a good chunk of North America. I learnt years ago, that your DD should never be your track car so I dumped it and "grew up" lol. I have a DD (see signature) which ensures I get a paycheque. This car is strictly a 'grins' car.

I don't plan to mod either one right off the bat other than protective stuff. Drive the heck out of it, then once I know the car inside out, then start from the tires up. I know about the road noise issue and the rear tires - the S2K will eat tires like no tomorrow oddly enough.

My priorities are:
1- Fun
2- Reliable-ish (if it spends more time not being driven due to being broken, it does achive it's primary goal)
3- Road-trip worthy (I'd love a used Elise but that's insane road noise)

One of my favourite videos is by Nino Karotta on the Epic GT86 drive across Europe here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrvhkIivgA"]Epic Scion FR-S, Toyota GT86 test drive: racetrack, drift & cross-continental dash - HD - YouTube[/ame]

That's what I want to do with the fun car.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote