Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #326
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
It can happen to anyone which is not the same thing as saying it will happen to everyone. More track days, adding power, especially forced induction simply increases the likelihood that something will break and it will probably a rod.

Mine popped recently after about two weeks of forced induction. I went with the "safest" supercharger system, had it conservatively tuned to 20 degrees of advance and a 7K limiter, have the JR oil cooler and a full blown radiator but it still threw a rod accelerating onto a freeway which cut a trench across the top of the block.

Moral of the story is that blame is not an issue, understanding the potential risk and how modifications will change the odds is. You can not bet your motor that having a good tune and cooling provides any guarantee, they just change the odds a little more in your favor. I will be starting a new thread soon focused on the choices to be made when replacing a blown motor, Thankfully I have the resources to do what I want and I really expected to eventually have a built motor or a V8.

BTW there are 4 other cars with blown motors at the same shop in Orlando as I write this so yes there is an issue.

add me to that thread when you start it. im building my motor still. would like to share and be educated as much as possible on other failures. thanks for the info.
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote