View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 11:56 AM   #3293
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So if you take an objective view of this manual vs. automatic thing, you get the following:

1. Modern automatics have more gears and shift faster.
2. Modern automatics can be manually controlled through paddle shifters.
3. You can get faster track times with modern automatics.
4. Modern automatics (not in the 86) have manual features such as launch mode.
5. Manuals are much better at giving you a visceral experience because you can make shifting mistakes and thus it is more up to the skill of the driver, i.e., it is more of a challenge.
6. Manuals are much more fun on road trips.
7. Automatics are much better in traffic.
8. Modern automatics can get better gas mileage.

We don't have a modern automatic in our cars, which tilts the decision towards getting a manual and why it should probably be the transmission of choice for our car. Put in a dual clutch 8-10 speed unit and that calculus would change. For corporate profitability reasons in a low volume car, I don't see that happening until either the 86 is discontinued or a next generation is introduced.

In full disclosure, I have an auto and drive mostly around town with monthly rides in the countryside. The paddle shifters do work well and give me control, but it is not as much fun as a manual would be. Ride quality is important when my wife is in the car, and the auto is much more comfortable than the manual with PP both in terms of ride smoothness and smoothness of shifts.

I don't track my cars anymore, but at the track I'd want the one that gives me the best lap times and am much less concerned about "fun". Currently, I think. for this car, without a dual clutch, that's a toss up. However, if the car had a modern auto, I would choose the auto for the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-29-2018)