OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Back in the pre-initial d days I was looking for my first sports/y car. Rwd Corolla GT-S looked cool, like a baby Mk3 Supra. Then I found out the power they make (none) and that they had a stick axle. So I just bought a turbo Supra.

Stick axle was the real deal-killer. Still is actually.
Heh heh, the stick axle is exactly one of the defining features that give the AE86 its character. Its not for everyone, I suppose, but it does give a bit more of a learning curve than using the better IRS setup on newer cars. As a long time owner of one, I could tell you it wouldn't even remotely feel like an AE86 to me if it didn't have that dead piece of log in the back called a rear-end.

Great article that sums up the AE86 pretty well, but pretty silly to do a real comparo between the two. Each car is a product of its own era.

I love this quote "And relax, fanboys, the AE86 is not fast. Not by today's standards, anyway. " As a huge fan of the AE86, I actually enjoy telling mis-guided newbs on the subject that the Hachi-Roku is actually pretty damned slow. Its not about the numbers, its the feel and sound of the car that grabs you.

Few, and I mean FEW, 4cyls can even match the sound of proper tuned 4A-GE. One of them is the F20, the other, much closer to home, is the BEAMS 3S-GE.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote