AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
I'm looking at the same scenario.
Ditto for me. I suspect this next car might be my last with a manual transmission (thanks to creeping arthritis). I have the same questions and thoughts; lighter and more flingable BRZ/86 with a N/A engine, vs. a much more torquey and faster Z.

Given my street/highway driving uses, I suspect I'll like the Z better - except for the turbo motor. As impressive as it is on paper, I still always prefer a good N/A engine.

I think the Z is going to sell well. We're all going to have to wait for reviews and personal road tests, but it seems to address the things people found wanting in the 370Z while keeping the basic goodness. It keeps the robust, stiff, still relevant and competitive chassis, but updates the body styling to something more svelte and even approaching classically beautiful, while updating the interior that was probably the biggest weakness of the 370Z. As a bonus they're also updating the motor to a more efficient and powerful mill, one that will likely be readily amenable to even further aftermarket power boosts. What's not to like?

I agree that it will probably be more than a $5k price spread vs. the BRZ/86, especially when factoring in the inevitable ADMs and other games Nissan dealers will play. It will probably be north of a $10k price difference, but probably well worth it for a car that's in a whole different league.

I hate to say it, but for me the buying and dealer experience might be the deciding factor. 3 years ago I started out with the intention to buy a 370Z. But, as I've ranted about at length in other posts, after a year of trying and going to 6 different Nissan dealers, I was completely disgusted with their sleazy sales tactics. I just couldn't find the car I wanted from a dealer willing to put aside slimy games and just sell a car for a reasonable price. Nissan sleaziness was what drove me into Subaru's arms.

I think it's going to be even worse with the new Z. The 370Z was a car few people wanted a couple of years ago, and Nissan dealers still couldn't resist playing dirty. I think there's going to be a feeding frenzy over the new Z. I can already hear the drool dripping from Nissan salespeople's mouths at the thought of how they'll be fleecing the gotta-have-it early buyers.

Given how rampant the filth and grime I encountered was among all the Nissan dealers, I suspected it was condoned if not outright encouraged by Nissan USA corporate. Seeing the latest scummy move to come from them, with the 8 year predatory financing loan cons, confirms my suspicions. I don't think I'll need a crystal ball to foresee how this is going to turn out: liking the Z, visiting several Nissan dealers and then having to powerwash the filth off myself afterwards, and then ending up back at a Subaru dealer.

I never imagined that the dealer experience could sway my decision for which car to buy, but there you have it.

Last edited by AnalogMan; 04-11-2021 at 07:28 PM.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (08-07-2021), soundman98 (04-11-2021), Transport3r (04-11-2021), Wally86 (04-29-2021)