Old 10-26-2022, 05:04 PM   #1385
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The trick with interiors is to go way overboard with the contrasts and shading. Some dark wash in those seats, door panels and dash will make the detail pop even through the small windows. It will bring out the seams and colour divisions by tricking the eye with simulated shadows. That way things are not so stark and artificial appearing. With interiors I add a wash until I think it is just enough and then add a little more. Looks weird before it is closed up but once inside then it comes together.

When I first got into plastic modeling, I could not figure out why the WWII 1/35 figures I painted looked so different from the figures in the modeling magazines. I didn't know about washes back then, or highlights. I thought that all I needed to do was paint the guy's pants all the same color, just like a real pair of pants fabric. I didn't know that that the illusion of shadows, creases etc were created by various painting techniques. It was very eye opening when I learned that you really do need to 'trick the eye' with miniatures.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-27-2022), soundman98 (10-26-2022), Spuds (10-26-2022), Tcoat (10-26-2022)