View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 AM   #59
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is very common, and not aligning the bolt PRECISELY, as you've seen, will result in a cross thread. To make it worse its a cross thread you don't realise has happened until you start tightening with tools. Another reason to never use pwr tools doing this job.
You can re tension the bolts to make sure they are still tight, remove the bolt and re tap with a M14x1.5 tap, re thread the bolt with a M14x1.5 die, or, if you're game, remove the offending bolt and pack it with washers before re installing it and tensioning. An idiot I paid to install mine actually cross threaded one bolt as it was nearly home, despite me warning him, and he used washers to pack the bolt out a little. Seems to have worked but I want to go the tap and die route eventually. There is also the possibility that what you're hearing is normal now you've stiffened the bushes. Your NVH is going to be worse. I also installed the diff bushes at the same time and there is now a very mechanical noise from the rear when I reverse or select a gear every now and then. This is a job that's a lot more hazadous than the written instructions and Youtube clips let on. Good luck
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodalenko For This Useful Post:
Jhood (05-18-2017), Tristor (03-28-2018)