Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #91
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Capital expenditure resulting in a depreciating asset is what we would call them in in manufacturing.
The depreciation you're referring to is amortization of cost to recognize the expense of the purchase over the expected life of the equipment. That's not the same as "depreciation" of a vehicle in terms of a drop in market value. I think you understand that, but it's an important distinction to make.

Capex or PPE expenditures should result in a return that exceeds depreciation expense plus all the other expenses involved in owning and maintaining the equipment. You don't buy a piece of equipment for a factory expecting it to lose money for the business. You buy it expecting it to either increase income or reduce cost and thereby contribute to profit. Otherwise there's no point in buying it.

The expectation of a return is what makes it an investment. People are getting hung up on capital gain, which is only one narrow type of return.

My dad bought a piece of land and built a building. He leases it to a business. He gets a pretty good income from the building after expenses are subtracted from rental income, despite the fact that the building is a depreciating asset for accounting and tax purposes.

Nobody would tell my dad, "That's not an investment. You didn't invest in real estate." At least not anybody who knew what they were talking about.

Yet the same people who can easily see the investment in the depreciating building can't get their heads around a depreciating piece of equipment also being an investment because, just like the building, it makes money for the owner.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (06-29-2019), Grady (06-28-2019), Tcoat (06-27-2019)