Old 08-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #55
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,892 Times in 2,033 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Ok, this is just nonsense. And the point you consistently neglect to mention is that high oil temperature leads to low oil pressure.
I've always mentioned that higher temps mean you should run higher viscosity. But if oil pressure is the metric you are fixating on, tell me what you think about this:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91820

It looks to me like the oil pressure drop from the cooler is the same as the oil pressure drop from the no-cooler setup running hotter.

Quote:
The real mystery is at what pressure will your bearings get scorched from lack of the proper hydrodynamic wedge that oil provides.
The answer is that it is not a constant, you're chasing a moving target. That is why the OEM gives a guideline goal for oil pressure.
OEM specs at nominal oil temps do not represent an oil pressure *requirement*. As long as the bearings are consistently fed with oil, hydrodynamic wedge is in effect. That said, as already shown oil pressure at 275F with no oil cooler isn't any lower than oil pressure at 250F with an oil cooler.

Quote:
@Dezoris may come off as a prick, but guess what? He has put in a lot of work to push knowledge specific to this platform forward, he deserves to be proud and speak with authority. I may not agree with everything he (or anyone) says, but to completely miss the "why" of his study is nuts. Don't be so hard headed that you can't accept that "recommending" an oil cooler comes from a place of care and concern, rather than a self-righteous conspiracy theorist rhetoric.
If "Dezoris" is that one Savagegoose guy, he's wrong on need for an oil cooler, wrong on what's required to make these cars handle, wrong on whether a '17+ (or even a '13-'16) "wants to rev" as much as an ND2 Miata.

Quote:
I'm also in the camp of "Don't get an oil cooler until you can provide data to support it". But the data between oil TEMPERATURE and PRESSURE is well known. If you lose your hydrodynamic wedge on any metal/metal, it's causing potentially significant wear. That happens with oil pressure being too low at a given load/rpm.
See above regarding oil pressure vs. temp with and without an oil cooler...

Last edited by ZDan; 08-27-2021 at 09:28 PM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote