View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #358
Four_wheel_drifts

Drives: Whiteout track car; lava donor
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I track my car, a lot. Actually “a lot” in an understatement. In a typical light month, I might have eighteen, 20-25 minute sessions on any one of the four “good” tracks we have in the PNW. During the peak of the season, I might be on track 5-6 weeks in a row.

When my engine popped this weekend, we estimated that it likely had over 30,000 track and commuting to the track miles on it.

For reference, at the Ridge, by the end of the season, I’m running consistently in the 1.57 with a few forays into 1.56 territory when I can get a clean lap in and not have to point anyone by which is almost never. On 225 R888R which are poor, but we’re sponsored so that’s the why. Not saying this to boast; there are many faster 86 drivers in the PNW. Rather, it’s data that my engine, whatever choice I make, will see a ton of g-forces and live in the 5k to redline RPM range.

I’ve been running a stock FA20 with a HKS header and OFT tune. The 4.56 rear diff was my most important mod.

The car came to me with an Innovate Supercharger. We promptly removed it and installed it on my friends BRZ. Coincidentally, his motor popped in the morning; mine in the afternoon.

I have ZERO interest in a supercharger, turbo or anything not NA.

My choices are between a built FA20 and the kswap. Element says that they have 10k+ race miles on their test car. Going that route would be cheaper and easier even adding their oil accumulator’s kit for protection.

BUT the 200 lbs weight savings and cheap and plentiful k24 engine availability is hugely appealing.

I don’t build motors, but I can do everything else that doesn’t require custom fabrication.

If I went the k route, I’d keep at least one engine on hand as a spare. I haven’t done it obviously, but once the k swap is complete, it looks like we could do a pull and replace of the engine is just a few hours. Like pop it during a Friday session and be ready to go again by Saturday morning. This is hugely appealing; do let me know if that’s fantasy.

That’s the discussion direction I would like comments on. Thank you.
Four_wheel_drifts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Four_wheel_drifts For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (10-13-2021), Irace86.2.0 (10-13-2021), NoHaveMSG (10-13-2021), Wally86 (10-13-2021)