GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I thought I'd resurrect this thread for fun and a couple of questions.

1) How much does this weigh (don't see it on the mnfr web site)

2) I've read it's important to get the front wheels off the ground before installing a strut tower brace, this appears to bolt on without and since there's no adjustment I guess it wouldn't matter if the front end's off the ground anyway. Does that make it less effective than another type like the Tanabe that has some adjustment and suggests unloading the front suspension first?
Gopher pretty much nailed it.

However:

1. The strut bar weighs 3.95lbs

2. The mounts are slotted to allow for a little movement during install because the studs are not straight up and down relative to the plane of the bar, and when measuring the distance between towers for the initial design we always used the cars on the ground. Leaving the car on the ground to install is the same as pre-loading the bar. And as Gopher said, we designed it solid for a reason, because it is extremely effective. So much so that it has a noticeable decrease in low speed NVH, which is attributed to it's stiffness:

This shows the cyclic nature of the movement between strut towers. They move both towards each other, and away from each other. So being able to adjust preload to push the towers against each other starts to make less sense compared to simply locking them together.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
phobos512 (06-11-2015)