fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
They Look pretty independent to me!!

I like how Toyota/Subaru placed their suspension: Macs up front and Doubles in the rear.

VS.

Doubles up front and Macs in the rear.

Oh sorry... In Alfa-Speak they're "Enhanced MacPherson struts".

i think the macs just end up where the engine is for packaging purposes. for what its worth i also think they get a different name in the rear for no real reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
The C7 still has inverted leaf springs (along with double wishbones and magnetorheologic dampers), and that doesn't change the fact that the suspension is independent. In fact, from what I can find, the corvette went to independent rear suspension with the C2 generation in 1963. Independent suspension just means that there is no solid axle, and the geometry is such that moving one wheel doesn't change the orientation or position of the other. The type of spring and damping used (and even the details of the linkage) are irrelevant to whether or not the suspension is independent, and actually, there are good reasons why the inverted composite leaf spring as it is used in the Corvette is actually superior to coilovers in many ways.

Interestingly, from what I can find, the Cayman has MacPherson struts on all 4 corners - no double wishbone to be found anywhere (which is yet more proof that what really matters is how the suspension works together with the chassis, and how it is set up, and you can't just say that one design will always be superior)
i wish people would understand this rather than throwing out the impossible "all else equal" clause you see in the matters of not only mac sruts to double wishbones but in the live axle comparison or in the wheels a car is driven by or any other host of stupid reasons people write off a car without any firsthand experience.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote