View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
I've been doing car audio competition for quite a few years, and was curious... what advantage have you guys noticed with full active?

I've run it in past vehicles, but the SQ was never noticeably superior to a proper passive setup (crossovers and L pads) with time-align head unit. Driver selection and placement have always trumped any other factors.

@ OP, there are some seriously good 6.5"-7's out there. If you're crossed over high, try something like the Dayton Reference LINK to Freq Resp. If you're crossing over low, try something like the Peerless SLS LINK to Freq Resp.

Both will get you down near 100 Hz. If space is an issue, just get a shaker LINK to Aura Shaker or bite the bullet and get a shallow 10 LINK to Pioneer Shallow. Obviously, cross them over low and set gains properly.
I like running full active because I can go to parts express or madisound and order raw drivers to fit my needs and mix and match them as I see fit and not have to worry about coming up with my own crossover components/designs for each combination. It just makes things simple and easy to play around with. Plus, if you have a passive splitting a single output channel to a tweeter/mid, you loose T/A between those two drivers.

For this car, if I do a system, I'll likely do a 3" mid with a very small tweeter crammed into the dash with a very simple passive crossover, crossed actively to the door speakers and/or sub.

Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
Shankenstein (02-05-2013)