Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
I've been doing car audio competition for quite a few years, and was curious... what advantage have you guys noticed with full active?

I've run it in past vehicles, but the SQ was never noticeably superior to a proper passive setup (crossovers and L pads) with time-align head unit. Driver selection and placement have always trumped any other factors.
A passive eq can work just fine, but as you hinted time alignment can suffer; not everyone is willing to go with custom driver locations. Normally each driver is a different distance from the listening position, making it impossible to time each driver correctly if they're paired to a single channel.
The other benefit is that you simply have more control. I agree it's not always necessary, but it's nice to have.

OP, you could build a custom passive for the mid and high drivers if they will be right next to each other. Since they are typically positioned so close they can function as a single driver as far as that channel is concerned. This would free up the other channel pairs to independently run the mid woofers and a small 8" sub that wouldn't impair trunk space much at all.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote