View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 11:32 AM   #5899
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is the BPV or SC actually emitting a high pitch squeal or whistle like a slipping belt? That may not be normal. Come to think of it, have you checked the belt? If you have a sound clip we can try to help diagnose what you're hearing, but its hard to say otherwise as everyone's perceptions and expectations are different.

I've used both the original plastic BPV and the newer aluminum one, and they sound about the same volume wise. Nothing has ever squealed, but the SC has a distinct mechanical whirring sound at idle. At mid-high rpm at partial or no throttle the BPV makes all sorts of shooshy wooshing sounds because the SC is forcing lots of air through the bypass circuit, but nothing whistles or squeals (except a faint high pitch zing at exactly 3100 rpm from something harmonic).

If its the sound of air moving or the SC itself that's annoying, I can't imagine a different BPV changing the sound a lot (unless it's actually whistling or doing something harmonic). The SC and bypass circuit is really short, just inches, and its only a few inches from the air filter so you're gonna hear everything going through there. If you had a longer inlet tube (imagine a traditional CAI that puts the air filter behind the bumper or in a wheel well), that would likely make it quieter by placing the air filter farther away. Wrapping the inlet tubing might help dampen it a bit, but with the air filter so close I don't know how much that would even help.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote