View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #46
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes my dash was opened a few years ago I put some carbon fiber in. But this sunload sensor only showed up a few months ago so I don't think this is the case.

Anyways I've been in contact with Mike at Xero-Limit who did my tune. He thinks my Ecutek dongle is faulty.

When I connect my ecutek dongle to the OBD2 port it shows as green. When i connect to my labtop and the license usb they both show as connected. I updated the ecutek software and drivers. But the 'detect' vehicle option is grayed out. I went to choose Subaru BRZ manually, and i get an error "No CAN Vehicle Interface was found".

I tried different usb ports, and a different labtop. Same error.

So at this point i think it's the ecutek dongle or a faulty OBD2 port, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
So to help with the Sunload sensor...has the dash ever been out of the car, say for replacement or some sort of repair? If so it is very possible the sunload sensor was unplugged and never plugged back in. That is where I would start first.

To help with the key reprogramming...I have yet to find a locksmith that can program a new key to work with the immobilizer, they can only program the lock/unlock features to the fob. That can only be done with the Subaru Select Monitor-SSM (Dealer scan tool). The Techstream WILL NOT program keys on BRZ's and the Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) WILL NOT program keys on a FR-S/86.

Techstream can be used to pull codes, read some data, etc on the BRZ, but isn't as thorough as what the SSM can do. I use the ECUtek reader more often than the Techstream...and then the SSM for everything else.

If a Subaru dealer is using the SSM and telling you they cannot access the ECU it is likely 1 of 2 things:
1: The ECUtek flash is disrupting the connection
2: The OBD2 port in the car is flakey (easy fix is to use a cheap OBD2 extension cable between the device and the OBD2 port. I bought a cheap one from Amazon to "fix" this issue on my BRZ.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Opie (10-31-2019)