Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
That's probably the cause of your poor performance at the drags.

My car runs 10-15% down on power without octane boosting. It obviously pulls timing. I don't use octane booster all the time, just when I do track days, and then the power difference is very noticable.

Lately, I've been getting satisfactory results on the highveld from Sasol 95 + Liqui Moly Octane Booster at approx 1 tin per 25 litres, and I start 2 tankfuls before the event to give the ECU time to adjust. At my home altitude (750m) I find Engen 95 the best and most consistent without octane boosting, but YMMV.

Latest Liqui Moly price is about R78/tin (bought today for Sunday's track session).

PS: Just watched the video. I don't know much about drag racing, but something's wrong with either your tyres, warming them up, or your technique because launching's not coming together...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=40

???
Phew, you must have gone to a lot of effort to rake that up out of the archives...
That was a long time ago.

However, that's exactly what I believed for a few months, then I smelt a rat...

I always used to track at Midvaal, and fill up at Sasol in Heidelberg. I'd add octane booster and the car would be fine at the track. I'd fill at the same filling station on the way home without booster, and the car would be down on power. I would never have noticed the issue if I didn't one day have to go into Meyerton to fill up because I didn't have enough fuel left to get to Heidelberg - and voila, it was very different. The car seemed 100% OK without booster.

I reckon it was an unethical rural filling station jippo'ing the fuel. I changed to filling at Sasol Secunda and/or Engen Meyerton, and it's been like day and night since.

But, I've got a practical test coming up soon. I need to dyno in January for Leg 1 of the Michelin Cup and that'll be in Gauteng. I won't put octane booster and we'll see what happens. It'll actually be nice if I'm down a few kws cause where I should be (168wkw), puts me in the 160-200wkw class, and I'd like to be in the <160wkw class

Last edited by Fish Eagle; 12-11-2015 at 02:54 AM.
Fish Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fish Eagle For This Useful Post:
Alang (12-10-2015), JouMaSeHoes (12-11-2015), sav (12-10-2015)