View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 10:37 AM   #13
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thinking about this some more, let's say best-case scenario, all of the 5 hp peak gains for the 2017+ motor came from the change in intake manifold design (which I'd consider unlikely - more likely a combination of the intake manifold and headers, and probably more the latter), then picking up an IM to try would be worth a shot given that they're pretty cheap used. At $200-300, you're talking $40-60 / hp in that case.

Spending $600 US for another claimed 1 to *maybe* 5 horsepower at the very peak of the rev range only through Extrude Honing doesn't seem worth it though, at $120 - 600 / hp.

Playing devil's advocate, though, let's say the opposite is true, and swapping the stock 2017+ IM nets zero gains (I.E. all the factory 2017+ gains come from the headers or something else), and you can gain ALL of the 6-10 claimed HP from Extrude Honing the manifold. The best-case $/hp proposition would be better ($60-100 / hp) and could also be compelling for someone like me with a 2017+ car to begin with, but I have a lot of trouble believing you'd see that big a gain (a 5% improvement in top-end airflow) from Extrude Honing alone unless the casting of the 2017+ manifold in stock form were really atrocious and actually choking the motor rather than just "not flowing optimally", and again, those gains would be just at the VERY peak of the power band in any case.

So, basically, what I'm saying is I could see swapping the IM being a worthwhile experiment for relatively little expense if you can pick one up used, but don't feel that Extrude Honing would be anything like a good value proposition for 99% of use cases aside from a maxed out, NA track build chasing every last peak hp or maybe for forced induction where you're flowing significantly more air.

Billet Power Blocks, for one, seem to be a much better bang for your buck to add usable NA power / torque, even without tuning (FWIW, I will be putting my car back on the local dyno to verify the BPB gains with and without tuning sometime later this summer).