Old 11-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #47
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avp1 View Post
I drove both long term: RX-8 for 8 years and BRZ for 7. No contest - Mazda was a better car. Even though mine required new engine at 50K miles and another one when I sold it with 95K on odometer.

Quote:
Engine felt better, steering - better, brakes - much better. Even style - it looked more expensive than it was.
Engine sounds neat, I like it, but the weight of the car is too much for it. Mazda should have made a rotary-engine Miata!
IMO the steering is GREAT, but not better than the FT86's.
RX-8 brakes do not feel better than PP Brembos.
RX-8 *style* starts out great but the bulbous fender flares are unfortunate and the rear window and the side profile in that area are tragic.

Quote:
Though you only should consider RX-8, if you have capability to do repair work on engine (a must!),
What kinda repair work can you even do to the engine? Usually when they fail, it's rebuild or replace. I cut my losses and sold my FC as-was when it lunched apex seals...

Quote:
But it can be rebuilt as dedicated track car with greater success than BRZ/FT86.
Depending on what you call "success", I guess? A friend of mine is totally rebuilding one with a K-swap, I'm really looking forward to that!

I actually love the RX-8 and nearly bought one. Glad I got an S2000 instead. They're cool cars, but as slow as the FT86, 250 lb. heavier, and yeah, that whole reliability thing...

It is not a "better" car than the FT86. IMO far far from it...

Oh yeah, 95-in-the-quarter acceleration, with 18mpg fuel mileage, in a just-over-3000-lb car, is frickin SAD...

Last edited by ZDan; 11-13-2020 at 07:25 AM.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote