Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #73
mikeTee
Yup.

Drives: MT Subaru BRZ '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
This is correct, and AFAICT there is no dedicated sub output. The only connector on the thing that's not been traced completely is the 16-pin that has the RV camera contact.

In any case, there certainly isn't any way to control level on one - no 'hidden menu' that supports such a thing.

Whether it's worth $500, I dunno. It's a neat, clean installation, takes up very little room, and is more than powerful enough to suit me. Properly tweaked, it's the best stock system I've ever owned, and one of the best I've heard. The caveat is the tweaking, and it's pretty much necessary every time the source material changes.
This whole subwoofer issue is making me confused.

Firstly, as we know, the factory headunit lacks RCA outputs. This means as an "OEM" subwoofer, the subwoofer must also by logic not run off of RCA outputs, meaning as some people pointed out, must tap into some other sound source i.e. Front left / Front right / Rear left / Rear right. This also potentially poses a problem in the case that anyone wants to reuse this subwoofer with any aftermarket headunits - especially with all (4?) these crossover things going on. Quoted from another thread:
My understanding is the stock crossover in the BRZ (not sure about the FR-S) has filters set to send most of the bass to the 6.5" door woofers and some folks mentioned they did not get the most out of a sub until they used a multichannel amp/different crossovers and defeated the local crossovers. There is no easy way to default the current crossover settings in the head unit. I am not sure as I am replacing my stock speakers, and adding a 5 channel amp to power them and will use new crossovers.
Secondly, we also know power is not the issue as supposedly the subwoofer quote "overwhelms" other audio frequencies. Though I don't know where it taps in for power, AFAIK this subwoofer is a powered sub with an amp built in the housing. This worries me because the developers of this sub obviously knew exactly what was going on as far as the outputs on the factory head unit, which more than likely explains the year long delay for it's release. Though I hate to admit it, more than likely, the output with the factory setup is as good as it's gonna get. I'm also assuming it works in conjunction with the factory amp which is good/bad?

Lastly, as far as comparing it to OEM Audio +... Where do they tap in for their audio source? I know that they have their own dedicated amp in lieu of the factory amp and they also have a custom harness that does not use RCA connections as it's being installed in BRZ's and FRS's without the BeSpoke unit which I assume means it relies on FL, FR, RL, RR. This is what gives me hope that there is a way to get decent sound out of this OEM sub.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of my statements, and if you have any information please chime in because I would love to have an affordable subwoofer option that doesn't sound half-baked.

Lastly,