View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Jump start cautionary tale

Thought this would never happen to me.

BRZ battery was dead as a door nail this morning. Dash lights came on but no engine turnover and some clicks. Apparently I left the trunk lid ajar Friday night. I didn’t drive all weekend and we had temps in the 20’s F

Get out my heavy duty, Minnesota winter style jumpers and hook them up per protocol. I thought. In double checking before firing up the Mrs g_e Lexus, I spied that the cables were reversed in my car. I immediately disconnected them.

The cables were pretty warm but nowhere close to melting. Insulation on them is really thick yet flexible. You guys in Canada get it.

Anyway, after letting things set for 10 minutes while kicking self in @$$, I start the Mrs. car and don’t see any warning lights and it’s running smoothly.

I cut it off, jump it again, triple checking my connections, fire up her car and my car starts right off.

Whew!

No warning lights either. Everything works! I drive it to the battery place and have it tested. Low charge but all cells OK.

So I drove it for half an hour to get it charged. Took the Mrs car out for 15 minute drive all OK.

I got really lucky. Catching it after being connected for a few seconds likely saved me. Too bad my luck doesn’t work with the Lottery.

I was thinking about having both cars checked out, but if they aren’t throwing codes, no warning lights/messages, and running fine, I’m not sure there is anything to discover. And the doner car was never switched on with the crossed wires

The moral of the story: no matter how many times you have done this in the past, triple check your work and check it again to be sure.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to g e For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (02-14-2022), humfrz (02-15-2022), jcw99 (02-16-2022), new2subaru (02-18-2022), NoHaveMSG (02-14-2022), soundman98 (02-14-2022)