View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
MSG's info covers all the nuances really well.
The only thing I would add, is if you run into a wonderful situation where the the bearing assembly is stuck or seized in place... Some penetrating oil and a big hammer can help. Heat may or may not help much because both parts are steel, so they'll tend to expand evenly, but it can help break a rust bond by making the parts expand and change shape ever so slightly. Nonetheless, don't burn the boot. If you get to this point, its probably a good idea to get the CV joint out of the way, anyway.

Take a bolt to the local Ace Hardware and get 4 matching bolts about 1/2"-1" longer. Thread the longer bolts in by hand and smack them with the hammer to drive the bearing out.

If reach/clearance is an issue and the hammer can't strike the bolt heads cleanly, pick up a cheap sacrificial impact socket and a short extension if necessary. This can help maintain purchase on the bolt head so you can smack away, just make sure the socket rests against the bolt head and doesn't bottom out on the knuckle.

Make sure it's coming out evenly so it doesn't get jammed. I did longer studs several years ago, and had to remove all the bearing assemblies. The rears didn't give me much trouble, but the front left put up a HELL of a fight. Felt like a blacksmith by the end of that day.

Last edited by wheelhaus; 07-11-2023 at 01:35 PM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
CB750F (07-11-2023), Ultramaroon (07-11-2023)