View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #52
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Yes driveshaft options are also good. Overall, I have a feel that such kind of mods will die as we go forward in the future. Most cars nowadays are getting turbos from factory and even the ones that don't, it is easier to install a SC than trying to get there performance wise with all these alternative and small incremental changes. People also have the tendency to change cars sooner, so they want instant results and quicker. For example high power profile camshafts was the norm in the past for NA engines. How many will do this kind of modification today and open the engine? It is more expensive and needs more time.
I think you are absolutely right @nikitopo. As much as I'd like to get the kick in the pants this car desperately needs and from my time experiencing forced induction in this car, it is very tempting and desirable but the truth remains the same. I can't get away from naturally aspirated engines. It's always been a signature of the cars I've owned and driven. Sadly, they are going away. There's something so alluring to me personally about the challenge of building power the old fashioned way and in this platform, the challenge is even tougher yet rewarding if it can be done. I've slowly seen it with the Fuji exhaust set up and I haven't even gotten a tune yet.

Still, the allure of natural aspiration to me is due to all the following that simply put, forced induction cannot match. The power band will never be nearly as linear and conventional found in FI as it is in NA platforms. Turbo lag is a real thing. NA is overall more stable and reliable. Less things are left to go wrong. The list can go on. I'm not here to shit on forced induction because I may very well go that route at one point or another. Each has it allure, there's just something so enjoyable about the challenge of building this chassis and platform on a strict NA basis.