NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Love it when you all skip the part where I'm not talking about the physical damage, but what the codes mean and how they translate to what the driver is experiencing. Very obviously a sensor cannot affect steering position. What is clear is that a faulty angle sensor is a damaged part giving the wrong reading or a symptom of physical damage because the reading doesn't match the expected value given other sensors' readings.

Root cause analysis should be slow and steady. It doesn't matter if he punted it into a curb, we need to know what part failed after that unexpected event, and what other parts failed due to that, and so on. All we have is a batch of ECU codes and some pictures of the steering wheel, nothing on the suspension or steering mechanicals, so we have to work backwards. I specifically don't want to give the driver a hard time, otherwise they won't feel welcome to ask these questions when dealing with severe damage like this.

Diagnosis is not built on conjecture, and your entire post is just yelling that they ran into a curb. Yes, they did, and then they asked us to help after two shops gave him the runaround when he tried to "Fix obvious damage first" and now he's trying to "handle issues that aren't resolved after that."
I don't believe the steering angle sensor is the issue, it is located in the steering wheel assembly and was likely not affected. I did find this in the manual which is more then likely the issue.

Quote:
When the speed sensor or the yaw rate sensor has trouble, DTCs for the steering sensor may be output even when the steering sensor is normal.
This little quip is not in the steering section of the manual, it is the the brake system. It probably gives a steering angle DTC as well since the steering angle and differential in wheel speed sensors does not correlate. IE going straight they should read evenly.

Most likely a speed sensor was damaged, the wiring to the speed sensor was damaged, or the odd inputs from the speed sensors due to the alignment being off is tripping the DTC for the steering sensor too.