View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #7
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
Here is some information I can provide as I was one of those originally interested in doing 5x114.3 conversion but at the end, decided to just stay with 5x100.

-I did buy the PBM 5x114.3 front hubs. Originally they cost $260 + CA sales tax w/ free shipping. Then it was bumped to about $280 and ended around $320 before they stopped production during COVID if I recall. It was also always backordered and took approx 5-6 months before I got my set. I ended up reselling my brand new set to someone else who actually needed.

-The investment to actually get the 5x114.3 conversion is at bare minimum of around $400 on top of the cost of the hubs for those who do not have PP brembos (which is a good amount of twins)

W/ PP brembos, iirc, you can most likely just redrill the rotors and get STI rear hubs like you stated and it should work (min cost $150 for the rear hubs)

W/O PP brembos, one will most likely need to go 06-07 wrx 4 pots (roughly around $300 min for used set unless you want to shave material off stock calipers) + new brake pads (around $75 min for a new set if 4 pot) + STI rear hubs ($150 min reman) + new set of front and maybe rear KNS gravel spec rotors ($350 min or $200 min if you redrill rear rotors), which totals around $875, or $350 w/o 4 pots and redrilling rear rotors.
The hubs diameter face was also bigger than stock which required it to use gravel spec rotors (STI sized inner hat size needed on rotor). I did a lot of searching to see if there was a 5x114.3 rotor option that will just bolt on and isn't a special rotor that cost a lot. Unfortunately, KNS gravel spec is the only one I found that fits PBM hub diameter.

-Serviceability is also a big factor to me as one of the reason I sold them. I had a feeling that PBM will discontinue or have trouble when it came to manufacturing them when I had to wait at least 5-6 months to receive them. It didn't look like the bearings were going to be easily serviced when I had them in my hands and with my car being a daily driver (also driving through really bad roads), I wanted to be able to easily replace the hubs or just the bearings if needed.

In my honest opinion, for these to be sold successfully

-Hubs needs to be widely available to purchase at all times for a long period of time or at bare minimum, easily serviceable bearings
-The hub diameter should be the same as stock so it does not require a caliper/rotor/pad change so stock rotors can be redrilled instead to appeal to those with non pp brembo brakes
-Priced around $300 USD (PBM was always selling out due to their price point at $260)
Thanks for the details and insight! I genuinely appreciate it.

I'll be straightforward and honest right away.. I don't think a pair of hubs would be possible at that pricepoint without sacrificing some quality(which from what i understand, Megan Racing, PBM AND T-Demand all have had quality/longevity issues). The goal is definitely to be cheaper than T-Demand, alongside being way more accessible.

the product we'd be working toward would have to match OEM quality at the minimum for us to even consider it. Cant have hubs that are failing after 30-40k miles... hubs should last much, much longer than that for a simple daily driven vehicle. I want to throw the hub on my car and be worry free.

A serviceable bearing is definitely on the table and would make things cheaper on the maintenance end of things.. especially for race teams who would prefer to service things as often as possible

As far as the rotor hats and re-using oem rotors.. it's physically impossible to re-use the oem rotors because a 5x100 brake hat wont fit onto a 5x114.3 hub.. or at least from the measurements ive taken, it's not possible. I'd have to double check.

If there was enough meat on the oem hubs, we'd be drilling into the OEM hubs(and rotors) and re-using them. It would have been done a long time ago.

that being said, we would be able to offer re-drilling services for any rotor that would fit(id have to do research on this subject to see if any vehicle uses a rotor with a large enough hat that we can buy for cheaper and re-drill)

The Rotors you mentioned run $100/ea at this point, which seems fairly affordable to me for any high performance rotor, but obviously we'd prefer to have a rotor option that is more readily available(such as another rotor from a different manufacturer that we can redrill, or ideally something that matches almost dead on)

Im also dipping my toes into adapting a hub from another vehicle(ex: using an STI hub) OR creating a solution to use 2015+ Legacy 4cyl rotors(same diameter as OEM brz but a tad thicker)

there's A LOT to consider here so im gathering as much information as possible and thank you again for all the info youve provided.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote