View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #18
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This car is not a drift car.

First due to current and upcoming emissions regulations it has a small displacement boxer engine that doesn't have a ton of torque and horsepower for drifting. So in that regard it is a throwback to '80s sports cars.

But what it has that those cars didn't is an incredibly low center of gravity design in a FR package. Right out of the box it doesn't handle on rails the way a double wishbone car with aftermarket springs/struts does (i.e. S2k, Miata, EG Civic.)

But the stock suspension really surprises you because of the low COG, it isn't a super stiff suspension and is comfortable over potholes, railroad tracks, speed bumps. But it handles amazingly well with the stock suspension, its very unique. It is much more stable at highway speeds than the little double-wishbone cars, it feels more like a Grand Touring car than a sports car, yet it is lightweight and tossable.
Hard to explain, best thing is to drive one, but I know its hard to get a feel for a car at a dealer test drive.

All in all it is a great package, the 6 speed Aisin manual and Torsen rear are expensive pieces for a car in this price bracket.

I fully expected it to handle like on rails with the sharp/harsh suspension and that razor sharp quirkiness at high speeds, but this car manages to redefine good handling and is nothing like that. Its like they took the good handling characteristics of a Supra and combined with an AE86 if that makes any sense. Overall what this car has is excellent balance, something that has disappeared from the market.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-13-2013), strat61caster (06-13-2013)