Old 12-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #1602
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your car. It is insanely frustrating to hear about experiences like this, because it affects enthusiasts like us who love and cherish our cars the most profoundly.

In October 2019 I traded in my '13 FR-S that I loved and wanted to keep forever. It had 31k miles on it and had $15k+ in mods and I only got $9,500 for it - just to get something else quickly, and not deal with trying to put it back to stock since I didn't have any of the stock parts. I refused to let the recall work be done to it, however I tracked what happened to it and the recall was performed on it and now there's a new owner driving it around with almost all my mods on it still.

I'd certainly still like to be driving my old car, but I feel like it got forcibly taken away from me because of CA bureaucracy. I just didn't want to deal with the exact situation that you are now going through. But in hindsight apparently I should have gotten the recall work done and my engine "might" have been just fine afterwards. I guess I'll never know, but what I do know is that I'll always miss driving that car. I had it 100% perfect for my tastes.
That was almost my exact situation. Well-maintained 2013 with 32k miles setup exactly the way I wanted it (few thousand in parts) that I was thinking about keeping for a lifetime. Engine was running perfectly. I decided to roll the dice with the recall because I just didn't want to trade-in the car. Did a bunch of research and found a dealership that I trusted (as far as you can trust any dealership anyway).

As soon as the recall was done, at the first opportunity I tracked it for 4+ hrs thinking if the engine was going to blow, I wanted it to happen during that initial warranty period. Luckily for me it's held up for 13 months and 8k miles.

The recall being forced on owners in CA and the lack of responsibility from Toyota/Subaru to keep their dealers in check for owners who lost their engines was a shame. Way too many 2013 owners in CA got raked over the coals on this one.

Hope you get back into a Twin soon. The 2015-2016 models have some nice reliability upgrades and the prices have fallen. The situation sucks but perhaps it's an excuse to start with a fresher model year. Or go completely wild and get a 2017 with 5 more hp

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-30-2020), Ganthrithor (01-05-2021)