View Single Post
Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #1599
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
However, it should have been a voluntary recall in all 50 states. Ticking the box for "emissions related" (which makes it mandatory if you want to actually drive it on the road) and fucking over everyone in CA was a big slap in the face. In no way is it in any way an "emissions related" recall. That part is 110% bullshit and only serves to highlight the bureaucracy and horseshit that takes place in CA perpetuated by CARB.
This times a thousand. I didn't want a dealer tearing the engine half apart so I didn't do it. I paid my registration fee and just kept driving the car this year without the new tags-- figured with COVID I would probably get a pass if stopped as long as I carried the receipt for the fees in the car. But as we got to the end of the year it became inevitable. Sent the car in and it didn't even make it home from the dealer before spinning a bearing (I assume, based on the sound and partial power failure).

Obviously CARB didn't directly kill this engine, but one has to speculate with regard to how extensive the carbon footprint of the car becomes when you calculate in the environmental costs of building a whole second engine and shipping it across the Pacific ocean... So I can't run a car with an aftermarket air intake or a cat-back exhaust even though these components have zero effect on a car's emissions, but they're free to literally force me to shoot my perfectly-healthy engine in the back of the head for no reason at all. So fucking dumb.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (12-30-2020), Clipdat (12-30-2020), DarkSunrise (12-30-2020), gravitylover (12-27-2020), norcalpb (12-30-2020), Opie (12-28-2020), TommyW (05-23-2021)