Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am not set up to do any form of actual hands on work on my car anymore but you want too believe I would want to know what that code said before I took it in. I would then take it to the dealer and let them tell me what they find without saying a word. Since I would hate a customer that came in and tried to tell me what the problem is from reading a code I would not do it to them. Then I would know that we are both on the same page or if they are feeding me a line. I have never once had an issue with a service department and like to think that it was because I did my research and knew what was likely the issue but kept my mouth shut and let them do their job.
I guess I fall someplace between the two camps in this debate.
That's exactly what I do. I never said he should NOT take the car to the dealership. I also don't walk in and tell them exactly what the issue is. If anything I say, "My CEL is on, and the parts store guy said it was camshaft related, but I dunno," which simply makes them cognizant of the fact that I'm not 100% clueless as to what the problem is. I have had experiences at several dealerships where they tried to claim issues that were completely nonsensical. The most recent one was my clutch creak issue, which they initially claimed was because my clutch had a hot spot. Only after I asked them some specific questions did they admit their diagnosis made no sense whatsoever.

I definitely don't to people how to do their job. Nobody likes that. I do, however, ensure that I know enough about the problem with my $30,000 investment that I'm not taken for a ride. Why anyone wouldn't want that kind of "insurance" is beyond me.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
86geek (09-27-2016), Tcoat (09-27-2016)