View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
Transmission: If you realy want a Track car and no Budget build, go with a T56 Magnum F. Only the gear ratio are reason enough in case of a track car. Improved shifting quality and stregth of this transmission comes on top. BTW, you cant take the clutch into the Budget calculation for a Magnum, since you will use the exactly same clutch with a regular T56. I installed a Magnum on my swap and did it for less than 5000USD including bellhousing, slave, shifter and 20% Import fee added. Again, slave and shifter will be necessary with a regular T56 also. In your case it should be possible for not much more than 4k. Minus the best price for a good regular T56 you would need otherwise you add arround 3k to your swap. Therefore you have Track friendly gear ratios and a brandnew, much stronger trans. I dont see any reason to use a regular T56 of its not already lurking in your backjard.

Fuel: For a Track car, go with a racing fuel tank. Otherwise two active pumps, one on the driver side as OEM and one additinal on the passenger are necessary. Main reason for starvation is, that the suction pump on the passenger side cannot bring enough fuel over the driveshaft to the "Real" pump. In addition, the suction pump is running with the fuel dumped by the Regulator. So it will Transport less wenn the engine consumes much of the Total Flow and nothing in the second of an actual starvation.

Oil: Im no Track racer, but absolutely fine with a OEM GTO pan and Improved Racing baffle.

Transmission wiring: You have reverse switch, output speed, reverse lockout, temperature, CAGS on any T56. As well connectors for the downstream O2 Sensors are in the OEM wiring harness towards the tranny, but I think you dont have any. Up to you what of those Sensors you use on a custom harness, but output speed would be minimum. Everything else could be left out if you dont have any Regulations about reverse lights etc.
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated. Im heavily leaning into the fuel cell as well myself. For the transmission, I was actually considering an AR5 with an adapter. The thing is, my only real option is a magnum T56. You cant get a normal t56 around here, there are none. So my only option is a brand new magnum which runs me into the 5-6k USD when shipping, import and taxes come in. Money is not the main factor, but if I can save several thousands for little to no benefit I will take it. If I can ignore the signals for the tranny thats fine, I dont actually need speed readings, you never look at that stuff when driving.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote