View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I watched this when it came out, and at first I was excited, but honestly there's a bunch of cringe moments here. It's pretty obvious that they chose parts based on who gave them free stuff for marketing purposes, not based on a proper analysis of what is available on the market overall. Additionally, there's several things they did that are obviously rushed.

The coolant is a great example, because they didn't use Asian-formula organic coolant, which is what is specced for these engines. You /can/ change over coolant, it's not going to instantly destroy something. But it's not really recommended due to the various metals and metal coatings involved, the chemistry of the coolant is specifically formulated for how Toyota/Subaru/Nissan motors are manufactured.

It was still enjoyable to watch... but it's basically just one really long product placement advertisement. They also spent very minimal time on suspension/alignment and didn't do any of the necessary supporting things to get it right. This is actually one of the most critical areas for performance on this platform and I'd take good suspension and stock power over power adders and sloppy suspension work any day of the week. Also they had to bring in Vortech to do the install... partly because a lot of cutting was involved... a Harrop SC or Jackson Racing SC would have been a far superior choice.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-18-2020), weederr33 (02-24-2020)