View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks Mike & David. Saw this on FB at 2am!

I'm glad you guys are putting some credence to the importance of damping. I much prefer a stiff spring on a high quality damper. My other car is 2800~ lbs and runs on 9k/14k DG-5 coilovers. At the softest setting it rides like a Cadillac on 80% of the roughest conditions a lowered car will see in LA. It's actually too soft and I bump up the firmness just a bit for DD duties. On the track I can dial in plenty of stiffness. The range is so drastic that it's certainly enough to tune in/out oversteer and understeer in conjunction with playing with tire pressure.

I say all this because the SRCs remind me of the DG-5s. I'm very interested in experiencing these one day. I love the inverted front shock and the external reservoir in the rear!

Questions:
1. Springs are not included, are they an extra costs? What if someone wanted Swift springs instead? (as an example)

2. At a conservative 20mm drop (my preferred street ride height) will the SRCs still be within the optimal operating zone? Shock travel looks shorter than stock but these still look longer than some of the "cheap" coilovers I've seen for the BRZ. ~20mm also appears to be the recommended drop from Tada-san to maximize suspension and steering geometry on this car? <-- I could have read this last part incorrectly somewhere though.

3. How's the weight of these compared to the JRZ which seem to be the logical competition in this price range? More importantly, these are monotubes vs. the twin tube JRZs. Any comments on this difference?

4. How do these compare to the RS*Rs (on my consideration list) & KW V3s (I don't like that they're designed for a soft spring but seem to be liked by many)

5. I must admit, my experience with the Monoflex, S-Techs, and especially the RAs have been less than stellar. Has Tein really turned things around here? The price seems to reflect it.

6. Glad you mentioned canyon runs. Our local mountains have a few bumpy patches mid turn. Really unsettles lesser suspension packages. This is a OT but maybe related question.. with all that spring stiffness do you guys notice a decrease in need to upgrade into stiffer sway bars for the BRZ and let the superior damping handle these high load, bumpy turns?

A few folks, including myself, are waiting to see what the BRZ/FRS has in store come March. The rumor is Eibach, Bilstein, Koni, etc... are coming out with their offerings as well. I'm very happy to read your satisfaction with the SRCs. I'm sure they're quality...now it's just a price consideration. Thanks for putting Tein back on my radar.

Last edited by RYU; 01-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (05-15-2013), Plumbus (01-14-2021)