Old 05-01-2019, 08:15 AM   #68
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
First up let's talk about the driveshaft! I will be the first to admit I questioned whether or not this would make any significant difference. I comprehend the idea of rotational mass and that it's half the weight of the stock one. The idea that the power can be almost consolidated by not having to independently spin a second piece of the driveshaft seems to be a clear advantage. That being said, let me say that I completely underestimated this alteration. Could the following be a placebo from my butt dyno? 100% but regardless let me tell you that BRZ3N has never felt lighter on it's feet! It's more eager and peppy now than I can recall in all of the time that I've owned it. I want to add that I've heard one too many times the "header, tune, E85" method to getting the most out of this car while remaining naturally aspirated. That may very well be true as I admit I am on a stock tune and don't run with E85 as of yet. Nonetheless, I added a quality header on BRZ3N and I felt it was a bit more eager and unleashed on the top end of the power band. I also recall the TRD Performance Air Intake being a noticeable difference maker in the early portions of the power band, mainly in the department of throttle response. Furthermore, I mention all this to say that the driveshaft in my opinion has had a bigger effect at least in the immediate presence than those other two additions to the car. I feel not only a more instant throttle response but also a more free and eager range when I'm rowing through the gears under acceleration.
I have read other saying the same about the carbon driveshaft. I tried once to model the gains of the lower inertia, but the change was small and could not justify the improvement. Reason is that the driveshaft is after the gearbox and in low gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd) the rotation speed is much smaller comparing to the rotation speed of the flywheel. Fact is that many have mentioned that the car feels lighter and the reason should be something else independent of the inertia. Maybe as you said not having to independently spin a second piece of the driveshaft seems to be a clear advantage.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote