Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazio View Post
"...using the KW 7 post shake rig, track time, etc. to really dial these in for a level up in performance."

Interesting. Did you actually do simulated laps on the 7 post rig for damper tuning? Or, if it's durability testing, why does KW need to redo 7 post rig testing for each aftermarket application? I would have expected them to have all the load capabilities/limitations proven before they market the dampers to you. And are the SS2s tested to a higher standard than the SS1s or fewer sales to spread the costs over?
Yes, we do have a lot of existing data to use but we're also able to do more testing when needed. Working with KW is interesting and we've learned a lot from them, but we also generally have different ideas or goals for our suspension than their stuff. They are of course still involved with the development of our line up.
We do expect to sell more SS1s than SS2s, but sometimes the market surprises us. In terms of durability, we have done some additional testing since we expect more track use from SS2 users but there shouldn't be a real difference between the 2.

Quote:
"It's the same and I should change that on the website. We don't recommend slamming a track focused car (most of the time)...25 to 30mm is the right spot."

How do you pick a ride height to recommend? And why recommend lowering for the "street focused" set?
Recommended ride height is based on bump/droop travel ratio of the coilover and suspension geometry. That 25 to 30mm recommended drop ends up being great for a street car as well when it comes to looks, general convenience, not obliterating your bumper all the time, etc. But they're height adjustable coilovers and the user certainly has the ability to go lower for looks (or if they have some geometry correction) if they like, or add some rake.

Quote:
"If you have to choose 1, you choose rebound."

And so you did... but why?
Rebound adjustment simply has a larger and more noticeable effect on the car.

I don't know of any 1 way coilovers that adjust compression only. It's possible, but no one does it.

Quote:
Other than rewarding your charming forum participation, what's your sales pitch for the Superstreets over competitors? For example, the CSG Spec Tein Flex A has the same spring rates as the SS1, also has rebound adjustability, also includes camber plates, and is the same price or cheaper, depending on sales. (And CSG is also active on fora...)
We didn't really design the SS1s or SS2s to compete with anyone else. They're just coilovers we've wanted to make for a very long time (the mid-range road and track type coilover). Anyway, we focus on things like quality valving, quality components, and plenty of travel. The camber plates and rear mounts are IMO the best out there for a car that still sees the street, not just because of the lowering design but because they're 99% quiet.

Thank you for the kind words about my charming personality! I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to a sales pitch, we just make parts that we think are cool and functional and what we ourselves or our customers want. We've been working with this platform since before it came out (~10 years), working with KW for ~15 years, and on Subarus for more than 20 years. CSG certainly know their way around these cars too and have plenty of happy customers. There are a lot of companies that sell parts for these cars. There are fewer that specialize in suspension, fewer still that know what they're doing, and then only a couple that provide real support. CSG is good company to be in.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-21-2022), Mach V Dan (12-21-2022), NoHaveMSG (12-21-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (12-21-2022), Stonehorsw (12-30-2022), Tatsu333 (12-23-2022), Turdinator (12-21-2022)